Thursday, June 9, 2011

Reading Crochet Patterns


I have to confess that not being able to read a crochet pattern kind of defies the whole concept of crocheting!

When I first learned to crochet, I wanted to know what these abbreviations meant. Maybe I was curious or wanted to learn everything at once - I honestly can't answer that at this point.

To my way of thinking, reading a crochet pattern is essential to the learning of easy crochet. You are very limited as to finished projects if you can't read crochet patterns!

If you can't read a crochet pattern, you are very limited in my opinion. What do you do, keep starting over till you think it's right and continue in that way?

If you can read a crochet pattern you have the world at your disposal. You are not afraid to venture on to try new things in my estimation!

But the number of people who can't read crochet patterns astounds me. It seems like a real pity that they don't learn how to better themselves and feel better about the projects they create!

If you can't read a crochet pattern, how do you make doilies or crochet home-made dishcloths? Remember, they look easy in the picture, but can you duplicate it that way?

When I learned to crochet (it seems like a life-time ago now), those patterns with those strange abbreviations were a challenge to me. At that point, I made up my mind to learn to read the patterns no matter what.

I did a lot of research and asked a multitude of questions and finally got results. The strange part of it was that then I was no longer limited to crocheting with wool alone.

Being able to read crochet patterns seems to give you the confidence to be able to move on to greater heights - by that I mean, I moved onto cotton and made doilies in a very short time of learning how to read crochet patterns.

The thing that amazes me is that people who aren't able to read crochet patterns don't seem to care that every part of every crochet stitch has to be explained and/or demonstrated to them on a one-to-one basis. This bothers me.

I was told at one time that not being able to read crochet patterns showed a lack of patience in whoever did home crocheting in that fashion. It showed no ambition!

Now, I don't agree with that statement, but I have one of my own - "Don't learn anything by halves, learn the whole thing, or don't waste my time!"

When my oldest daughter was in hospital when she was five (5) months old, I was able to crochet a doily, thanks to being able to read crochet directions.

Here's another point to ponder: If you can't read crochet directions or patterns, how do you expand your own crocheting knowledge to include the extra stitches required? I am referring to the treble stitch, the half double stitch and so on - that could be daunting!

So if you are a home crocheter, learn how to read the patterns and don't be stuck in that rut that I call never-ending - read patterns, expand your horizons beyond your own expectations.








There is a wealth of information to be found at http://learningeasycrochet.com.

Not only is there information, but it supplies encouragement as well.

When you get stuck, as we all do sometimes, leave a question in the comment box and you will get an answer within 24 hours.

When you sign up for a membership, you will receive a crochet pattern of your choice along with the help you may need to complete that project!

In the members area, you will shown "how to" and much more along with tips and tricks to speed up your progress.

Check it out today!



This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

No comments:

Post a Comment